Wednesday, July 25, 2007

New Lifers

Today I birded the same location as yestderday and got two new subspecies lifers of Western Scrub Jay and Spotted Towhee. The Jay made very racous noises and followed me around from tree to tree, apparently curious about something, probably my shiny camera. The Spotted Towhee was singing about halfway up in a Pinyon tree.
This evening I saw a beautiful Interior West female Hairy Woodpecker, just pure solid black and white. I got two lifers today, a pair of Cordilleran Flycatchers flitting around on the slope of a mountain in a Juniper. They had a juvenile with more yellow on the bill and a large gape, and a raggedy look to the feathers. Then I saw a Swamp Sparrow in a clump of tall grass low in the mountains close to a grove of trees.

1 comment:

Cole Wolf said...

Soory to rain on your parade, but SWSP winter in NM. I think they start showing up in September. They're usually down in the lowlands near water. Did you get a good enough look to eliminate LISP?