Sunday, August 5, 2007

Band-tailed Pigeon

Today was another rainy day, and not much happened. This afternoon my grandfather wanted to take me birding, even though it was siesta time for the birds. I decided to go with, and he drove me to a neighborhood called "Black Forest". I didn't expect to see anything, especially since he didn't want me to get out of the car and it was the middle of the afternoon.
We were passing a house on our way out, and I noticed a fairly bulky and large bird. I told my granddad to stop, and he did. There were at least 5 of the birds eating something out of a metal basin in the yard. They were Band-tailed Pigeons, beautiful gray birds with an iridescent green patch on the nape and banana yellow bill and feet. I'm guessing that it was corn in the basin, that the people were using to feed the local White-tailed Deer. I tried getting some photos, but they all turned out crappy. :(. Now my list is up to 291 birds, so I'm happy and should defenitely reach my goal of 300 by the end of the year.

PS: probably no one cares, but I got the dog crud off my shoes today ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.